Undercover Sceptic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undercover Sceptic

Hi and a very warm welcome to The Undercover Sceptic Forum, I created this forum for like minded people to come and share their thoughts on sceptical subjects so please donate your wisdom freely for the furtherance of rational thought, Thankyou.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Suspnsion of Belief

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
undercover sceptic
Admin
undercover sceptic

Male Number of posts : 520
Job/hobbies : reading popular science, research.
Humor : Dry
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Suspnsion of Belief Empty
PostSubject: Suspnsion of Belief   Suspnsion of Belief Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 8:22 pm

Ok guys,

how many of you have watched the latest Bond, Ironman, Hulk etc, whatever youre interested in really?

Now how many sat there applying the sceptic's eye of critical thinking skills to each and every scene?

We know its fake but we love it so much(normally) that we suspend belief.

I was born and bred on wrestling. British then wwf/wwe. I still love it today and regularly see the live shows, its my sacred cow. Very Happy

Do you think we should be sceptical of everything, or is it ok to believe somethings?

How do we decide what to believe and what not to?

Feedback would be enlightening,

Den.
Back to top Go down
Jamie Clubb
Snr Member
Jamie Clubb

Male Number of posts : 296
Job/hobbies : Coach/Writer
Humor : Groucho Marx, Tony Hancock, Bill Cosby, Billy Connolly, Paul Merton, Ricky Gervais
Registration date : 2008-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Suspnsion of Belief   Suspnsion of Belief Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 3:08 pm

Hi Den,

Didn't I write something about this on this forum before. In fact, when I did my A level English literature I covered this topic in an essay on "Wuthering Heights".
Back to top Go down
http://www.clubbchimera.com
undercover sceptic
Admin
undercover sceptic

Male Number of posts : 520
Job/hobbies : reading popular science, research.
Humor : Dry
Registration date : 2008-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Suspnsion of Belief   Suspnsion of Belief Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 3:39 pm

I'm sure you have now you mention it, if i come across the piece I will post the link Wink

Be sceptical,

Den.
Back to top Go down
Jamie Clubb
Snr Member
Jamie Clubb

Male Number of posts : 296
Job/hobbies : Coach/Writer
Humor : Groucho Marx, Tony Hancock, Bill Cosby, Billy Connolly, Paul Merton, Ricky Gervais
Registration date : 2008-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Suspnsion of Belief   Suspnsion of Belief Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 4:39 pm

Definitely an article in this one, perhaps even a series. It's a top that fascinates me, more about myself than anyone else. I love fiction that pretty much defies all my rational thinking.

I can't say I am not intrigued by nerdy books that tell us why my favourite sci fi, horror and superhero fiction is illogical - there have been a slew of them in recent years - but at the same time I wonder whether we need them. I am split in so many ways on this one that it is bound to make a deliciously self-indulgent essay.
Back to top Go down
http://www.clubbchimera.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suspnsion of Belief   Suspnsion of Belief Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Suspnsion of Belief
Page 1 of 1