Undercover Sceptic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undercover Sceptic

Hi and a very warm welcome to The Undercover Sceptic Forum, I created this forum for like minded people to come and share their thoughts on sceptical subjects so please donate your wisdom freely for the furtherance of rational thought, Thankyou.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Open Mind vs Empty Head?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jamie Clubb
Snr Member
Jamie Clubb

Male Number of posts : 296
Job/hobbies : Coach/Writer
Humor : Groucho Marx, Tony Hancock, Bill Cosby, Billy Connolly, Paul Merton, Ricky Gervais
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Open Mind vs Empty Head? Empty
PostSubject: Open Mind vs Empty Head?   Open Mind vs Empty Head? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 8:06 pm

For my club's fifth tenet I chose "Open Mind". However, as a sceptic, I am routinely accused of not having an open mind. My view is that the true sceptic has an open mind. In fact, I think history has shown us that some of the greatest sceptics were very imaginative and creative. It was the extent of their questioning nature and their insistance on not accepting absolutes that defines being open minded.

I think this has the makings of an article. Would British Sceptic be interested in reproducing it for their blog?

Plus it is a good discussion topic too Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.clubbchimera.com
undercover sceptic
Admin
undercover sceptic

Male Number of posts : 520
Job/hobbies : reading popular science, research.
Humor : Dry
Registration date : 2008-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Open Mind vs Empty Head?   Open Mind vs Empty Head? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2008 6:48 pm

Jamie,

leave the link mate and I will have a look,

yes I can reproduce it for my blog cheers very much,

I need to come back to this thread when I can discuss in more detail, just posted my Friday Blog actually, trying to do one a week and keep the quality up, but if you guys have anything you want on there just let me know, no problem.

Full credit and link to your reference Of course will be supplied.

Cheers,

Den.
Back to top Go down
Jamie Clubb
Snr Member
Jamie Clubb

Humor : Groucho Marx, Tony Hancock, Bill Cosby, Billy Connolly, Paul Merton, Ricky Gervais

PostSubject: Re: Open Mind vs Empty Head?   Open Mind vs Empty Head? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2008 9:54 pm

Thanks, Den. Just finished one on my club's first tenet "Respect", which was more appropriate to promote my classes in Coventry via the Coventry Telegraph blog. The Open Mind tenet seemed to link well with my scepticism.
Back to top Go down
undercover sceptic
Admin
undercover sceptic

PostSubject: Re: Open Mind vs Empty Head?   Open Mind vs Empty Head? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2008 10:16 pm

Hi Jamie,

being honest Im not sure whether to continu blogging, writing articles for me is like pulling teeth, doesn't come naturally and when I look at it I think what a bloody mess lol!

I suppose it might come together with practice.

Back to open head, empty mind, I sometimes doubt myself, am I correct when debating with true believers to push their claims aside as argument from ignorance, ad hominem, straw man etc and push scienctific truths in their face.

Certainly philosopher Daniel C Dennett makes a superb sceptic, he knows which questions to ask, in which order to get the truth.

Something I feel he has honed over the years.

Regards,

Den.
Back to top Go down
Jamie Clubb
Snr Member
Jamie Clubb

PostSubject: Re: Open Mind vs Empty Head?   Open Mind vs Empty Head? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 5:07 pm

Quote :
being honest Im not sure whether to continu blogging, writing articles for me is like pulling teeth, doesn't come naturally and when I look at it I think what a bloody mess

With all due respect that is rubbish! To use a quote I recently included in my article on "Respect" taken from A C Doyle's most famous character Sherlock Holmes in the short story "The Greek Interpretor":

Quote :
“I cannot agree with those who rank modesty among the virtues. To the logician all things should be seen exactly as they are, and to underestimate one’s self is as much a departure from truth as to exaggerate one’s own powers”.

Your blog is excellent and I am proud to be linked to it. I look forward to submitting my own work, as I enoy and inspired by yours. Now keep writing! king
Back to top Go down
undercover sceptic
Admin
undercover sceptic

PostSubject: Re: Open Mind vs Empty Head?   Open Mind vs Empty Head? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 8:11 pm

Cheers Jamie,

thanks for the kick p the pants Smile

Did I mention that BadPsychics Jon, our current newest member, has made a great offer. Not only has he allowed me to leave a link, he also said If I or anyone on the team wanted to write an article he would post it for us and link with credit to us Very Happy

Thanks again Jon,

Regards,

Den.
Back to top Go down
Jamie Clubb
Snr Member
Jamie Clubb

PostSubject: Re: Open Mind vs Empty Head?   Open Mind vs Empty Head? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 1:11 pm

That's great news. I better get cracking!
Back to top Go down
undercover sceptic
Admin
undercover sceptic

PostSubject: Re: Open Mind vs Empty Head?   Open Mind vs Empty Head? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 3:57 pm

Ref: Open mind, im pulling together what i hope to be a cracking blog, but may get heat from any sceptic that might read it.

Going to think about it because my directin may require 2 quite separated blog entries, even if there is a lot of crossover.

Regards,

Den.
Back to top Go down
JonDonnis
Jnr Member

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-10-21

PostSubject: Re: Open Mind vs Empty Head?   Open Mind vs Empty Head? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 1:29 am

Yes please let me know if you want me to publish anything as I would be happy to do so.

I am looking for articles that can fit any of the sites in the BP Network,
Back to top Go down
undercover sceptic
Admin
undercover sceptic

PostSubject: Re: Open Mind vs Empty Head?   Open Mind vs Empty Head? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 3:03 pm

I guess thats psychics, ghosts and alt med from what ive seen, see what I can do Jon,

Den.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Open Mind vs Empty Head?   Open Mind vs Empty Head? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Open Mind vs Empty Head?
Page 1 of 1