Undercover Sceptic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undercover Sceptic

Hi and a very warm welcome to The Undercover Sceptic Forum, I created this forum for like minded people to come and share their thoughts on sceptical subjects so please donate your wisdom freely for the furtherance of rational thought, Thankyou.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Richard Dawkins and Alistair McGrath - Christianity

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jamie Clubb
Snr Member
Jamie Clubb

Male Number of posts : 296
Job/hobbies : Coach/Writer
Humor : Groucho Marx, Tony Hancock, Bill Cosby, Billy Connolly, Paul Merton, Ricky Gervais
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Richard Dawkins and Alistair McGrath - Christianity Empty
PostSubject: Richard Dawkins and Alistair McGrath - Christianity   Richard Dawkins and Alistair McGrath - Christianity Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 4:33 pm

I don't know if any of you have viewed these in their entiriety - I haven't - but I thought it was worth linking on here. It is a debate between Richard Dawkins and Alistair McGarth (author of "The Dawkins Delusion").

The debate is interesting for a variety of reasons. Firstly Dawkins faces someone who has written a book that completely challenges his stance on Christianity. Secondly it is filmed in a very stange way. The filming is amateurish yet it clearly was set up for a shoot (rather than at a conference or similar) - debates are re-started and the filming begins with Dawkins apparently waiting for his opponent whilst reading a copy his book. Plus it was filmed fairly recently and Dawkins was not at a period in his career where he needed to make a name for himself. Lastly the debate is exactly what sceptics and believers should be having. McGrath is a very reasonable, educated and intelligent man who does not believe in the Creationist argument. I am not a christian, but I think these sort of people are the type who should be representing the christian cause. The result is respect shown on both sides and some truly productive discussions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20Tc6EQ94GE
Back to top Go down
http://www.clubbchimera.com
undercover sceptic
Admin
undercover sceptic

Male Number of posts : 520
Job/hobbies : reading popular science, research.
Humor : Dry
Registration date : 2008-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Richard Dawkins and Alistair McGrath - Christianity   Richard Dawkins and Alistair McGrath - Christianity Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 6:11 pm

I somehow missed this and im on dawkins mail list, but I do have a backlog.

The thing is dawkins admits he is no expert on theology and hands over to Hitchens and Harris,

he is a bit of a bulldog but hats off he does know how to have a civilised rational debate, something I wish I could have more of instead of constant hominems and strawmen Mad

Den.
Back to top Go down
Jamie Clubb
Snr Member
Jamie Clubb

Humor : Groucho Marx, Tony Hancock, Bill Cosby, Billy Connolly, Paul Merton, Ricky Gervais

PostSubject: Re: Richard Dawkins and Alistair McGrath - Christianity   Richard Dawkins and Alistair McGrath - Christianity Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 11:59 am

The thing is I have become more and more a fan of Dawkins, but my belief system is probably much closer to Shermer's: "Militant agnostic: I don't know and neither do you" ;-)

On the christian side of things I feel comfortable with those who see the Bible as being largely or completely allegorical. And this McGrath character seems like a decent representative for the spiritual side of things, although I am still on Dawkins side in this debate!
Back to top Go down
undercover sceptic
Admin
undercover sceptic

PostSubject: Re: Richard Dawkins and Alistair McGrath - Christianity   Richard Dawkins and Alistair McGrath - Christianity Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 4:17 pm

Check out his dvd 'root of all evil' masterpiece, although it has its critics,

Den.
Back to top Go down
Jamie Clubb
Snr Member
Jamie Clubb

PostSubject: Re: Richard Dawkins and Alistair McGrath - Christianity   Richard Dawkins and Alistair McGrath - Christianity Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 10:38 pm

I have been watching parts of it on Youtube, but I would really like to lay my sceptical paws on his boxset - one for Christmas me thinks.
Back to top Go down
undercover sceptic
Admin
undercover sceptic

PostSubject: Re: Richard Dawkins and Alistair McGrath - Christianity   Richard Dawkins and Alistair McGrath - Christianity Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2008 2:09 pm

Jamie,

Get The Richard Dawkins Collection

Far better value for money,

Den.
Back to top Go down
Jamie Clubb
Snr Member
Jamie Clubb

PostSubject: Re: Richard Dawkins and Alistair McGrath - Christianity   Richard Dawkins and Alistair McGrath - Christianity Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 4:16 pm

Thanks Den. Will do once I have the denarlies!
Back to top Go down
Rob
Snr Member
Rob

Male Number of posts : 346
Job/hobbies : Combatives, Skepticism, Design.

PostSubject: Re: Richard Dawkins and Alistair McGrath - Christianity   Richard Dawkins and Alistair McGrath - Christianity Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 4:41 pm

I've not seen this Jamie.

But I did see Dawkin's talking to another chap, and they had a very good discussion. The interviewer was plying devils advocate, in a good way. So the discussion was excellent.... and the great thing is that it stayed well clear of any mindless "Oh yeah!!!" creationist arguments - which made for an interesting discussion (as you said earlier).

At least the basic Christian will accept the laws of physics - unlike those plain dumb creationists.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ucireland.com
undercover sceptic
Admin
undercover sceptic

PostSubject: Re: Richard Dawkins and Alistair McGrath - Christianity   Richard Dawkins and Alistair McGrath - Christianity Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 9:16 pm

Do not get me started on the 'laws' of physics, had enough of that on he martial edge forum lol!

Regards,

Den.
Back to top Go down
Jamie Clubb
Snr Member
Jamie Clubb

PostSubject: Re: Richard Dawkins and Alistair McGrath - Christianity   Richard Dawkins and Alistair McGrath - Christianity Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2008 10:29 pm

Quote :
Do not get me started on the 'laws' of physics, had enough of that on he martial edge forum

Ain't that the friggin' truth Arrow Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
undercover sceptic
Admin
undercover sceptic

PostSubject: Re: Richard Dawkins and Alistair McGrath - Christianity   Richard Dawkins and Alistair McGrath - Christianity Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2008 1:08 pm

"Ain't that the friggin' truth "

Laughing lol!

Regards,

Den.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Richard Dawkins and Alistair McGrath - Christianity   Richard Dawkins and Alistair McGrath - Christianity Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Richard Dawkins and Alistair McGrath - Christianity
Page 1 of 1