Undercover Sceptic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undercover Sceptic

Hi and a very warm welcome to The Undercover Sceptic Forum, I created this forum for like minded people to come and share their thoughts on sceptical subjects so please donate your wisdom freely for the furtherance of rational thought, Thankyou.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

When should a skeptic stay quiet?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Rob
Snr Member
Rob

Male Number of posts : 346
Job/hobbies : Combatives, Skepticism, Design.
Registration date : 2008-06-20

When should a skeptic stay quiet? Empty
PostSubject: When should a skeptic stay quiet?   When should a skeptic stay quiet? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 1:41 pm

Never or so I thought.... I do like to check out peoples wacky ideas from time to time I must say. Recently I was trawling through youtube, and I found a young lad talking complete nonsense. Just as I was about to take him apart point by point. I delved further into his youtube vids. It turns out that he is a recovering drug addict - he's only 20 years of age. He was inspired to get off the drugs, by that very silly book, "what the bleeb do we know".

He's an intelligent kid, but has not grasped the whole concept of "critical thinking" . He was blindly following, and regurgitating the crap that's in that DVD. Such as water changing with negative thoughts, etc.

However, like I said, it's inspired him to go an a spiritual journey, and get off the drugs. I've been following his vids for a while, and he seems to be doing well. While he believes in a lot of nonsense now, I'd never take that away from the guy (or even attempt to).

It's great he's getting his life together and he's building back the relationship with his family. And if he attributes his success to "what the bleeb do we know". Then that's fair enough (even though it's complete BS). I wont be the one to burst his bubble.

That said, anyone else is fair game. Twisted Evil

I guess my point is, should we ever stay quiet? Especially in a case like this?
Back to top Go down
http://www.ucireland.com
tim

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2008-08-07

PostSubject: Re: When should a skeptic stay quiet?   When should a skeptic stay quiet? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 4:48 pm

I think, yes for sure there are times when one should stay quiet. I think often people who would regard themselves as skeptics are looking at subjects from an intellectual point of view, and fail to really understand why it is people believe the things they do, or why they don’t really questions things they want to be true. Would I debate the merits of religion with some of my elderly relatives? Not a chance! There is nothing positive to be gained from it.

It is not in every individual’s best interest to be freed from The Matrix.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Snr Member
Rob

Male Number of posts : 346
Job/hobbies : Combatives, Skepticism, Design.
Registration date : 2008-06-20

PostSubject: Re: When should a skeptic stay quiet?   When should a skeptic stay quiet? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 5:41 pm

tim wrote:
It is not in every individual’s best interest to be freed from The Matrix.

I totally agree with you here.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ucireland.com
undercover sceptic
Admin
undercover sceptic

Male Number of posts : 520
Job/hobbies : reading popular science, research.
Humor : Dry
Registration date : 2008-06-18

PostSubject: Re: When should a skeptic stay quiet?   When should a skeptic stay quiet? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 2:31 am

In my early twenties (A long time ago) I was told there are sheep and there are shepherds.

The shepherd knows there are other fields to be explored beyond those fences, wonderful truths to be found.

The sheep however feel safe and protected by the shepherd, and the fence. They have grass to graze on, a simple unquestioning life. They are blissful in their ignorance.

Better to be the shepherd than the sheep, you have more choices in life because you can see the bigger picture.

Be warned!!! Waking a sheep is very dangerous! They get angry if you try to show them the other fields, an angry sheep is dangerous, what you thought as docile can attack you.

Best to let sheep sleep and be happy in ignorance.

Best the shepherd lay low and not announce things that stir the sheep.

As a sceptic we can lay low, be sceptical but not speak out. We can admit to being a sceptic but only interfere if asked to and even then softly softly may be order of the day.

Or as some do we can lift our heads above the parapets and speak out against every piece of what we perceive rubbish, take a stand for reason and logic and risk being torn to shreds in the cross fire.

It all comes to temperament and I have been all 3, but now im mellowing im trying to stick to promoting real science, defending myself against those that attack my view points and using persuasion on those that ask my opinion on the latest pseudoscientific craze!

Regards,

Den.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When should a skeptic stay quiet?   When should a skeptic stay quiet? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

When should a skeptic stay quiet?
Page 1 of 1