Undercover Sceptic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undercover Sceptic

Hi and a very warm welcome to The Undercover Sceptic Forum, I created this forum for like minded people to come and share their thoughts on sceptical subjects so please donate your wisdom freely for the furtherance of rational thought, Thankyou.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Jamie Clubb

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
undercover sceptic
Admin
undercover sceptic

Male Number of posts : 520
Job/hobbies : reading popular science, research.
Humor : Dry
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Jamie Clubb Empty
PostSubject: Jamie Clubb   Jamie Clubb Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2008 11:22 pm

To pre - emptively strike Jamie, welcome.

http://www.clubbchimera.com/

regards,

Den
Back to top Go down
Jamie Clubb
Snr Member
Jamie Clubb

Male Number of posts : 296
Job/hobbies : Coach/Writer
Humor : Groucho Marx, Tony Hancock, Bill Cosby, Billy Connolly, Paul Merton, Ricky Gervais
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Jamie Clubb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jamie Clubb   Jamie Clubb Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2008 11:31 pm

Thanks, Den. Yes, the website is a good start with me. Also have a blog for my written material www.jamieclubb.blogspot.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.clubbchimera.com
undercover sceptic
Admin
undercover sceptic

Jamie Clubb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jamie Clubb   Jamie Clubb Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2008 11:39 pm

Jamie,

it will be a pleasure learning more about you, just read your bio, im blown away, first I saw of you was analyzing hand techniques dvd, cant recall title off hand sorry Embarassed

Thanks for joining our currently small community,

care to tell us when you got in to scepicism, or has it always been in your blood?

Regards,

Den.
Back to top Go down
Craig
Jnr Member

Male Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Jamie Clubb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jamie Clubb   Jamie Clubb Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2008 11:47 pm

cross training in the martial arts, - the anatomy of combat
cross training in the martial arts, - the anatomy of hand strikes

hey jamie

welcome to dens second home

craig
Back to top Go down
http://selfdefence.darkbb.com/index.htm
Jamie Clubb
Snr Member
Jamie Clubb

Humor : Groucho Marx, Tony Hancock, Bill Cosby, Billy Connolly, Paul Merton, Ricky Gervais

Jamie Clubb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jamie Clubb   Jamie Clubb Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 12:05 am

Hi guys,

It is great to be here. Thanks for the info on the DVDs. Just for the record, we re-made the first one after the leaps we made with the second one.

Many different martial arts, after they establish themselves, draw an association with a philosophy, culture and sometimes a religion. The closest philosophy I see underpinning my "Process" of CCMA is scepticism. In fact, I see it as the philosophy taken by all the great "shakers" in martial arts history whether or not they were conscious of the fact. Scepticism is not a culture or a religion and it has no dogma or politics. All it does is prompt people to question. Sadly it often gets confused with cynicism, which is a negative outlook. Scepticism for me is liberating and very positive because you are constantly moving forward.

I guess my first proper introduction to scepticism occurred on my tenth birthday. An "aunt" of my mine from the circus side of my life bought me a "throwaway" educational book called "The Hamlyn Book of Facts and Fallacies". I loved it. I had discovered myths and legends at school and was a big fan of them, but I was always thirsty for knowledge and this book dealt with a different type of myth altogether. It dealt with ideas that many people still believed today, despite being disproven by historical and scientific research. Years later and I still have the book and, as is the nature of scepticism, a few of the facts in the book have been improved upon and also disproven.

Perhaps having a circus background also helped me to be critical. After all, the circus culture has a fair amount of "charlatanism" contained within it for entertainment's sake. In the martial arts world it amused me how people were wowed by the fakir tricks many a "Shaolin Monk" did through channelling their "chi" when I had seen the same feats being pulled off by individuals who pretty far off the Buddha's path to enlightenment.

I am pretty moderate in most of my views, but I am a militant individualist. I think the scariest thing in the world is mindlessness and you can pin some of history's worst atrocities on "herd instinct". Scepticism is in perfect harmony with individualism and this pretty much shapes the way I coach my students.

Well, I hope that covers it ;-)
Back to top Go down
undercover sceptic
Admin
undercover sceptic

Jamie Clubb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jamie Clubb   Jamie Clubb Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 1:10 am

Wow,

what a brilliant summation of scepticism and why we shoud all take a big dose!

Happy to hear your glad to be here in our small community and I shall also look out for that book you mentioned.

correction - just ordered the hamlyn book of facts and fallacies Very Happy

Warm regards,

Den.
Back to top Go down
Jamie Clubb
Snr Member
Jamie Clubb

Jamie Clubb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jamie Clubb   Jamie Clubb Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 1:34 pm

Quote :
"correction - just ordered the hamlyn book of facts and fallacies"

That's mad! I can't believe you can still buy it. It is an American book for children. I wonder if you are getting an updated edition. Remember, I got my copy in around 1986.

The best "grown up" book I have ever read on scepticism is Shermer's "Why People Believe Weird Things". If anyone ever wanted to see a definition of scepticism then that's the book.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Snr Member
Rob

Male Number of posts : 346
Job/hobbies : Combatives, Skepticism, Design.

Jamie Clubb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jamie Clubb   Jamie Clubb Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 1:44 pm

Hi Jamie,

Great to have another skeptic aboard. Very Happy

Rob.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ucireland.com
undercover sceptic
Admin
undercover sceptic

Jamie Clubb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jamie Clubb   Jamie Clubb Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 4:40 pm

Jamie im getting a second hand 1985 edition,

want to see the book that set your course Smile

I also ordered about 3 michael shermer books at same time, including the "Why people believe weird things".

Shall put that top of my reading list.

You may have noticed I placed the official Michael Shermer website in our links.

Feel free to add links to any quality" sceptic sites.

Regards,

Den.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Jamie Clubb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jamie Clubb   Jamie Clubb Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jamie Clubb
Page 1 of 1