Undercover Sceptic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undercover Sceptic

Hi and a very warm welcome to The Undercover Sceptic Forum, I created this forum for like minded people to come and share their thoughts on sceptical subjects so please donate your wisdom freely for the furtherance of rational thought, Thankyou.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Martial Science?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jamie Clubb
Snr Member
Jamie Clubb

Male Number of posts : 296
Job/hobbies : Coach/Writer
Humor : Groucho Marx, Tony Hancock, Bill Cosby, Billy Connolly, Paul Merton, Ricky Gervais
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Martial Science? Empty
PostSubject: Martial Science?   Martial Science? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 5:57 pm

The word "Martial Science" is often banded about, but with the myriad of different styles cropping all the time, can we ever claim that there is a "Martial Science"? My conclusions at the moment is that Martial Arts are still, no matter how realistic in execution or logical in theory, arts. If they are a science, it is not an exact one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.clubbchimera.com
undercover sceptic
Admin
undercover sceptic

Male Number of posts : 520
Job/hobbies : reading popular science, research.
Humor : Dry
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Martial Science? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Martial Science?   Martial Science? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 7:56 pm

I am sure I saw on discovery a programme on science of MA.

Had animated fighters showing projection, force, angle, result of damage like an x-ray etc.

Very scientific sounding/looking but....................

maybe im just too sceptical about such things.

After all discovery are showing ghost stories as 'true' stories............

regards,

Den.
Back to top Go down
Jamie Clubb
Snr Member
Jamie Clubb

Humor : Groucho Marx, Tony Hancock, Bill Cosby, Billy Connolly, Paul Merton, Ricky Gervais

Martial Science? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Martial Science?   Martial Science? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 11:08 am

Yep, that was "Human Weapon". It was the History Channel. An entertaining show that had a really good format. It did use science to explain how techniques worked in principle, but unfortunately was overly PC. It certainly didn't present an argument that martial arts were a science, although it was certainly better than "Fight Science".
Back to top Go down
Rob
Snr Member
Rob

Male Number of posts : 346
Job/hobbies : Combatives, Skepticism, Design.

Martial Science? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Martial Science?   Martial Science? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2008 1:29 pm

Interesting... I never call myself a Martial Artist, and in all honesty I really dislike the term. This is because I'm into practicing for realism, and I don't see the "artistic" side of two people brutally kicking the crap out of each other.

I can't say that what I practice is truly scientific, but I try to be. I remember W.E. Fairbain referring to his material as "Scientific Self-defense". And it was widely regarded as being the first Martial Science.

At the end of the day, I guess It's not really a science per se, but I try to apply some of the scientific rules to adapt it for the most realistic, and rational responses needed. It also originates form a "real" need for it to work under the worst possible conditions. Unlike the Kung Fu forms I used to practice - which I guess you could call artistic..
Back to top Go down
http://www.ucireland.com
Jamie Clubb
Snr Member
Jamie Clubb

Martial Science? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Martial Science?   Martial Science? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2008 9:43 pm

That is my point. We can apply science and should use the scientific approach, but must remember the extreme variables involved.
Back to top Go down
Rob
Snr Member
Rob

Male Number of posts : 346
Job/hobbies : Combatives, Skepticism, Design.

Martial Science? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Martial Science?   Martial Science? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 2:06 pm

Totally agree with you there Jamie.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ucireland.com
Sponsored content

Martial Science? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Martial Science?   Martial Science? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Martial Science?
Page 1 of 1